Thursday, November 30, 2006

Are You a Mudder?


My Mom was the one to explain what a Mudder was to me. She told me that a Mudder was a horse that won races during adverse weather. Therefore, the horse was either not affected by rain and mud or motivated in some form by it. Maybe, it is the fact that the horse is “designed” better for the mud.

I went for a short run before hitting the gym last night. This is the first time I have done any form of exercise since Sunday. I was motivated by the rain tonight. I don’t know what it is but sometimes I am compelled to run in adverse conditions.

I consider myself a Mudder at times. I like it when everyone’s hopes are down just because Mother Nature dealt us a face card when we were sitting with 12 at the $100 blackjack table. Late this summer I went running after a hard rain. I found that the river was completely overflowed to the point that I had to wade through the overflow twice. It was my favorite day of running.

I think most dedicated single speeders would agree with this theory. Take twenty-four hours of Moab this year. They had torrential downpours and it was the first year that a four man Single Speed team won. Not to mention, that a single speed is also designed better for adverse conditions since there are less moving parts.

The reason I bring this up is to stimulate thought. Are you a Mudder? Do you lie under the bed and wish it would just stop raining or do you thrive? I want to hear from you out there. Yes, I am talking to you, the one reading my words at this very moment. I know your out there reading this; don’t make me hunt you down to get an answer.

That means you Grandma Mangum. Are you a Mudder?

I know your not Lezlee but you can still leave a comment.

8 comments:

dicky said...

Not a mudder.
I consider myself a flahute'.

ExtrmTao said...

Good Work TD, for those of you who don't know. . .

http://brown-snout.com/oldwebsite/flahute.html

jpelton said...

I am a mountain biker. If it happens to rain, so be it. I perfer the weather to be lower 70s and no clowds, but I will take cycling any way I can get it.
2005 Southern Lights 24-7...Thank you Sir, may I have another.

Sir Belt Buckle said...

What about spiderwebs, Joe? I'll ride in the snow, rain, hell, have ridden in a hurricane before. But will *you* ride through spiderwebs? :)

jpelton said...

I will ride through a few spider webs. I have actually driven 2 hours to do a night ride in Modoc, hit 4 huge spider webs in the first 100 yards, called the ride and went home. So to answer your question, NO!!!

Anonymous said...

all-right! someone else that raced at southern lights 24-7 in 2005..that was some MUD!

i like mud. especially with the SS, you are right on.

Toby Porter said...

Yeah, I would classify myself as a mudder. Not by choice but rather by luck or lack of luck. SL 24-7 in'03 and '06 12hr Tsali is proof that I can ride as a mudder if needed. Fully in agreement that a SS is the mudders preference.

Sir Belt Buckle said...

It's all good, Joe. Everyone has their kryptonite. :)

~ Aaron