Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Pisgah, The Beginning

I just got back from a fun filled day at the Biltmore Mansion. I haven't been to the estate before even though I lived within an hour's distance for more than a year. However, today my Sister, Father and Brother In-Law all went to the estate for some fun.

I don't have much time so I won't go into detail at this time. Let's just say that the place is amazing. The grounds and the house are all out of this world.

We did a "rooftop tour" that took us to places that most guests don't see. The balconies and nooks and crannies inside this place are endless. We were able to explore the tops of the house outside and inside.

I never really realized that this is how the Pisgah National Forest got started. The Vanderbilt's were the first people to come up with the idea of planting trees to create a scientific forest. When they were first building the house and the estate it was all barren. The Vanderbilt's virtually created the Cradelery of Pisgah. Back in the day, they owned all the property from the house all the way past Mount Pisgah.

While standing on the back porch of the house we could look West out toward Mt. Pisgah. I thought about the fact that I had biked up there recently. It almost seemed untouchable from the house. Immediately I thought about creating a trail from the house to the top of the mountain. It would be an epic ride for sure.


What really blew my mind is the fact that they still have single track on the estate that can be used by hikers and bikers alike. I didn't get a chance to sample the trails but I will have to make a trip for that at some point.

That is all for now since time is short this evening. Pictures and such to come later.

If you haven't heard, we are meeting for a ride tomorrow. Check the thread out if you want to join.

No comments: