Thursday, November 08, 2007

Peak Color --> Leaf Season

As I drove to Fawn Lake last night, I could see all of the color of the season attacking my senses. It is a beautiful time around Dupont. As long as none of those leaves see a spark from any fire sources.

It is that time of the year where the color is giving way to a blanket of leaves on the trail. Now as your tires roll down the trail it sounds as though an entire classroom of children are tearing up their homework and the sound reverberates throughout so you can only hear your own thoughts as your cautiously hunt for the trail. I have ridden the Reasonover for a good while now and I still lost the trail a couple times last night. The darkness and fresh leave coverage means that only the most skilled trail spotter can find their way on the trail at 15 mph.

That is why you have to enjoy the fall, sure the temperatures were cold last night and our group reflected that thought as David George, Clay and I were the only riders to brave the elemental cold night air for the first time this year. Luckily I had brought plenty more clothes than I ever thought I would have needed as I needed every thread I had brought.

Even with the elements and an unconventional route, it was a great ride with a ride time of 2 hours and 15 minutes. Somewhere around 2,000 feet of climbing is what persists when you climb all of Johanna road. I told you the route was unconventional. At one point Clay said “So we are pretty far from the cars now huh?”

Our passion for the outdoors, camaraderie and cycling is high as we didn’t see a soul in the parking lot or on the trails. It makes for a great day because this has become one popular park in the last few years and to have it all to ourselves is a gem.

Without their permission I would like to say that some of our crew has been having a lot of success lately in local racing. Rick has been turning up the notches on his training and got fourth at the TreeShaker. Nice work Rick. BrouSSard took the big “W” at the 24 hours of Clear Springs this past weekend. He sent me a detailed race report that I would like to share with you today:

Peace

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to go guys!!!

2 laps ahead of 2nd . . . Wow!! Congrats Zach!!

Steve